Train Festival 2009: Update

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GTW6401
how bout no

Re: Train Festival 2009: Update

Unread post by GTW6401 »

nsglc wrote:More engines are coming
Which ones?

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

No additional engines at this time.

Some FAQ about 4449's upcoming excursion/ferry move from Chicago to Durand and return, courtesy of Jason Johnson on Trainorders.com. This should clear up the speed questions.
1. How fast will they be running? - Track Speed 40mph-79mph I am sure average will be in the 50's

2. What stops will they make on the way? I know about Battle Creek, any others? - None scheduled

3. With the auto industry in the pooper, are they likely to get put in the hole for freight traffic on this run? - That is up to the dispatcher, light traffic on Sunday, there shouldn't be any issues, but we are at the mercy of CN.

4. Now the big one ---- Can anyone provide a ballpark guess on ETAs at various locations along the route? - No, we will have a gps unit on the train that you can track via the website or cell phone with internet access. There are way too many variables starting with rail traffic in Chicago and freight traffic along the line.

Hope this helps!
Jason

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

No, we will have a gps unit on the train that you can track via the website or cell phone with internet access.

Mr. Leese, do you have a laptop? :D
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

J T wrote:
No, we will have a gps unit on the train that you can track via the website or cell phone with internet access.

Mr. Leese, do you have a laptop? :D
Yes, but not with internet that works everywhere! I'd need a Verizon card or something.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Beal99
Railroadfan...fan

Quick 4449 question

Unread post by Beal99 »

Hey guys, my dad needed some info

just to make sure

on Sunday the 19th

Its taking

NS Chicago-Porter
Amtrak Porter-Kzoo
NS Kzoo-BC
CN BC-Durand
GLC Durand-Owosso

??

Do I have this right? Are there any times??

GTWFRED
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWFRED »

Beal99 wrote:on Sunday the 19th

Its taking

NS Chicago-Porter
Amtrak Porter-Kzoo
NS Kzoo-BC
CN BC-Durand
GLC Durand-Owosso
Beal99, Route is correct, haven't been able to pin down any times yet, except for "daytime running only". If I can find any time info I'll post. With RR traffic so off, it being a Sunday, and the 4449 being so important, she'll probably have "carte blanche" when it comes to track priority. I'm sure the Chat Room will be buzzing that day, with when she left Chicago,..., might want to keep an eye on that. Most likely my last time to see steam in Lansing, but more importantly, my grandkids FIRST!
Fred

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

The train is departing Chicago at 8 AM Central time, which translates to 9 AM Eastern time. Only one scheduled stop is planned for Battle Creek. Given that it is operating as Amtrak train, and running at track speed, which for the most part will be in excess of 60 MPH, it more than likely will operate on a time schedule similar to that of Amtrak's Blue Water.
Here's what the top speeds are for most of the route. If I'm incorrect on any of these, please correct me:
Chicago-Porter (NS): 70-79 MPH
Porter-Kalamazoo (Amtrak): 79 MPH
Kalamazoo-Battle Creek (NS): 70 MPH
Battle Creek-Durand (GTW): 60-70 MPH (Varies)

The following is NOT exact, but rather an estimate/conjecture of times (all Eastern Daylight) based on the above logic:
Chicago--9:00 AM
Niles-- ~10:40 AM
Dowagiac-- ~10:50 AM
Kalamazoo-- ~11:30 AM
Battle Creek-- ~12:00N-12:10 PM
Lansing/East Lansing-- ~1:00-1:15 PM
Durand-- ~2:00-2:15 PM

I'll say the disclaimer again. The above is just educated guessing on my part and NOT a confirmed, exact schedule. What really happens may be totally different depending on a multitude of factors.

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Alright, like I said above, what I posted was just guessing.
And it turns out my guessing was wrong.
Just got my ticket for the July 19th trip along with schedule information for what is officially being called the "Daylight Midwest Special". Here's what it says:
Segment #2 Sunday
July 19, 2009 Depart 8:00 AM from Chicago Union Station 225 S Canal St. Chicago, IL. Arrive Durand, MI at 4:00 PM.

Segment #3 Friday
July 31, 2009 Depart 12 Noon from Durand Union Station at 200 S Railroad St. Durand, MI. Arrive at Chicago Union Station at 8 PM.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Hmm... 8 hours there, 8 hours back... me thinks that these times are all in CDT, or in EDT.. wonder which one.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

railroadfan wrote:Hmm... 8 hours there, 8 hours back... me thinks that these times are all in CDT, or in EDT.. wonder which one.
I'd checked the ticket site and I'd have to think the 8AM Chicago departure is in "local time" i.e. CDT but couldn't speak to the "arrival time"...

Gregg - your original time may be somewhat off due to the one planned stop (at Battle Creek? Might be a lengthy coal & water stop?)
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

No coal for the 4449. Oil burner. The stop in BC is to detrain Chicago NRHS passengers and service locomotive.
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

MDH wrote:....(at Battle Creek? Might be a lengthy coal & water stop?)
Mike, 4449 doesn't burn coal. It's an oil burner

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

conrailmike wrote:
MDH wrote:....(at Battle Creek? Might be a lengthy coal & water stop?)
Mike, 4449 doesn't burn coal. It's an oil burner
Didn't bother checking an used it more as a figure of speach, but would they still need to top off water?
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

but would they still need to top off water?
That's what auxiliary canteens are for. :D
No, they should have enough water to get them from Chicago to Durand without a refill.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

I assume they will stop in Battle Creek to switch out pilots, but I’m not totally sure how the engine crews work on something like this with the 4449 operating over multiple railroads.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

GTW6401 wrote:I assume they will stop in Battle Creek to switch out pilots, but I’m not totally sure how the engine crews work on something like this with the 4449 operating over multiple railroads.
The 4449 'crew' will run the engine with AMTRAK providing the pilot engineers. For the most part, where engine crews change, the pilot engineers change.

Practice Safe CSX

jukeman45
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jukeman45 »

[quote="Gregg Pullano"]No additional engines at this time.

Some FAQ about 4449's upcoming excursion/ferry move from Chicago to Durand and return, courtesy of Jason Johnson on Trainorders.com. This should clear up the speed questions.
[quote]1. How fast will they be running? - Track Speed 40mph-79mph I am sure average will be in the 50's

2. What stops will they make on the way? I know about Battle Creek, any others? - None scheduled

3. With the auto industry in the pooper, are they likely to get put in the hole for freight traffic on this run? - That is up to the dispatcher, light traffic on Sunday, there shouldn't be any issues, but we are at the mercy of CN.

4. Now the big one ---- Can anyone provide a ballpark guess on ETAs at various locations along the route? - No, we will have a gps unit on the train that you can track via the website or cell phone with internet access. There are way too many variables starting with rail traffic in Chicago and freight traffic along the line.

Hope this helps!

What would be really cool is if Jason would set up a twitter account so our cell phones could be tripped along the route.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Man, I hope to get the return trip to Chi-Town. My origional plan fell thought as that is the weekend of the Blue Angles at Willow Run Airport, and told my Dad i'd take him....

nssd70m-2
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by nssd70m-2 »

I see that BNSF and NS are sponsors ,it would be nice if they actually sent like one of there engines. :roll:

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

nssd70m-2 wrote:I see that BNSF and NS are sponsors ,it would be nice if they actually sent like one of there engines. :roll:
that would make it worth it to go....