Mr. TSB - D&M Covered Hoppers

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Re: Mr. TSB - D&M Covered Hoppers

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

AARR wrote:
canpac08 wrote:Saw 1 or 2 ex MKT 2 bay hoppers with GLC marks departing elkhart for Kalamazo this afternoon on GDLK 302 still in green with the big MKT lettering
I heard there is some sand going to Grand Rapids but I do not think it is being loaded on GLC in Yuma, MI. Maybe someone will know.
Frac sand outbound from GR in those GLC / TSBY hoppers plus a bunch of GATX hoppers. Loaded by portable conveyor on the end of Mart St where the Country Fresh plastic pellet transload is (no longer used :( ). US Trackworks was constructing additional trackage there for it last week.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Raildudes dad wrote:Frac sand outbound from GR in those GLC / TSBY hoppers plus a bunch of GATX hoppers. Loaded by portable conveyor on the end of Mart St where the Country Fresh plastic pellet transload is (no longer used :( ). US Trackworks was constructing additional trackage there for it last week.
Would you happen to know which pit they are coming from?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

AARR wrote:
Raildudes dad wrote:Frac sand outbound from GR in those GLC / TSBY hoppers plus a bunch of GATX hoppers. Loaded by portable conveyor on the end of Mart St where the Country Fresh plastic pellet transload is (no longer used :( ). US Trackworks was constructing additional trackage there for it last week.
Would you happen to know which pit they are coming from?
Rumor has........... I need to confirm the location before I post it.

rustbeltrailroad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rustbeltrailroad »

Here is a project I am working on including these cement hoppers...

http://youtu.be/nb3vbqJed8o

Thanks for all the above info everybody-

GTW junkie
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW junkie »

rustbeltrailroad wrote:I forget about the ex-DMIR hoppers, I have a article that talks about them somewhere, but I remember them being interchanged between the GTW and CSX in East Lansing in the late 80s early 90s.
Have you come across the article on the ex-DMIR hoppers again in the last year, or do you happen know what publication it was in? I model the GTW in the early 90’s and am planning a layout that includes East Lansing. I want to include the interchange of these hoppers with CSX in my operation, so I’d like to learn as much about them as I can.

BTW, nice string of cement hoppers in your video!

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

GTW junkie wrote:
rustbeltrailroad wrote:I forget about the ex-DMIR hoppers, I have a article that talks about them somewhere, but I remember them being interchanged between the GTW and CSX in East Lansing in the late 80s early 90s.
Have you come across the article on the ex-DMIR hoppers again in the last year, or do you happen know what publication it was in? I model the GTW in the early 90’s and am planning a layout that includes East Lansing. I want to include the interchange of these hoppers with CSX in my operation, so I’d like to learn as much about them as I can.

BTW, nice string of cement hoppers in your video!
IIRC those were acquired by D&M and simply had the DM"IR" crossed out. I think they were used in cement service from Alpena. Could also have been used in Gypsum service from the National City area. I don't know why they would be interchanged between CSX and GTW in Lansing when both had connections to D&M in Bay City but it's very possible they did.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GTW junkie
Railroadfan...fan

I think rustbeltrailroad is correct about these cars being interchanged in East Lansing because I have several pictures from various online resources of these cars on and near the GTW/CSX interchange track. I also have a couple pictures of these cars in the Pittsburgh, PA area in the early 90's, but I have no idea if that's where they we heading.

rustbeltrailroad
Railroadfan...fan

GTW Junkie, I have one minute before I need to go back to work, I will comment some more later, but I spent a lot of time around Trowbridge in early 90s. Here is the BEST video I have found of the interchange, no DM hoppers though :cry: but very good nonetheless :D .
http://youtu.be/I0gja4lFY8c

GTW junkie
Railroadfan...fan

That is a great video! Those were the days. Thanks for sharing the link!

GTW junkie
Railroadfan...fan

I have some of the Clear Block Productions GTW "Into the 90s" videos. Volume 2 includes good footage of Trowbridge in 1993. It also has great footage of Durand including a Central Michigan train. Neither scene has DM hoppers, though. :( 1993 may have been too late; LSRC may have gotten rid of those hoppers when they took over.

rustbeltrailroad
Railroadfan...fan

GTW junkie wrote:I have some of the Clear Block Productions GTW "Into the 90s" videos. Volume 2 includes good footage of Trowbridge in 1993. It also has great footage of Durand including a Central Michigan train. Neither scene has DM hoppers, though. :( 1993 may have been too late; LSRC may have gotten rid of those hoppers when they took over.
Yea, LSRC never used those to my knowledge. Mid-Michigan RR fr8 made a lot of appearances on the Trowbridge interchange track, I assume starting in 87' and into the 1990s. I know the ex-GTW hi-cube re-lettered for MMRR was on that track numerous times, the is a pic on some website and I also have memory of it, along with MMRR grain hoppers. Actually there is original slide on ebay right now of a MMRR grain hopper on that siding in 93; ends in 4 days. I am gonna check out that vol#2 of clear block. Hey, I am hunting for any pictures or video of the GTW between Durand and Bay City between 1980 and 87', if you have any info it would be greatly appreciated.