Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Michael
Stuck in mud

Re: Where am I?

Unread post by Michael »

Good job AARR. It is Milan.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

This one will be tougher so I left the compass in the photo

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I think this is the MAC elevator in Blissfield
Michael wrote:Image
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I don't have an educated guess so my SWAG is the end of JAIL in Lansing
Michael wrote:This one will be tougher so I left the compass in the photo
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

AARR wrote:I think this is the MAC elevator in Blissfield
Right again AARR

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

This should be interesting. I found this unlabeled photo among my wife's grandfather's other slides.
I have a pretty good idea of where and when it is based upon the others in the series but I'll post it here and see who can tell me where and when it is.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

AARR wrote:I don't have an educated guess so my SWAG is the end of JAIL in Lansing

Very close.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Michael wrote:This should be interesting. I found this unlabeled photo among my wife's grandfather's other slides.
I have a pretty good idea of where and when it is based upon the others in the series but I'll post it here and see who can tell me where and when it is.
Well the automobiles date the photo at about mid to late 1950's. The ships are bow loaders rather than the stern loaders used for cross L. Michigan rail service. So I'm guessing Mackinaw Straits service. You can almost make out the name of the closest ferry as the SAINTE MARIE which sailed that route untill 1961.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I agree with Pixl. It looks like Mackinaw City with the photographer on the NYC side.
Pixl wrote:
Michael wrote:This should be interesting. I found this unlabeled photo among my wife's grandfather's other slides.
Well the automobiles date the photo at about mid to late 1950's. The ships are bow loaders rather than the stern loaders used for cross L. Michigan rail service. So I'm guessing Mackinaw Straits service. You can almost make out the name of the closest ferry as the SAINTE MARIE which sailed that route untill 1961.

cfriedri
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cfriedri »

Michael wrote:
This spur off the main is going to a large automotive supplier, although the plant is closed now and I have no idea when it last used the rails.
IIRC, there were covered hoppers sitting within the facility grounds last year sometime.
Connor

James Sofonia

Guardian insulation plant in Albion. Grade is the former LS&MS beyond the rock pile.
Attachments
guardian.jpg

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Pixl wrote:Thomson Road Bridge near Niles. Pretty cool bridge. Hard to find because you can't get anywhere near it with street view.
I already did this one a few years ago. :P
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22461&p=196742#p196742
However, the photo is no longer available, as I took it from my facebook page and they've changed so much stuff since Oct 2011 that the photos don't work anymore.
Jeff O.
Celebrating over 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

James Sofonia

I see most of us erase street signs as to not give the location away too quickly. This time I left that info in as the key clue, along with compass, after all how many towns have a streets names like Walnut or Railroad! :o See if you can find this SE location.

Looking East there are active rails at the top of the hill.

Looking West

North view

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

Pixl wrote:

That is dead on Pixl. The ship looks like the "Chief" but the words looks more like Sainte Marie. As for the year I think it is 1957 because it was in with other photos from the Mackinaw Bridge opening.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

While Pixl's pictures are still up for grabs I thought I might once again throw my hat into the ring.

I think I might actually have a decent one here... fingers crossed! :D

A small trestle meeting a former grade crossing, quite a bit going on here.
Attachments
CAM01246.jpg
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT1223 wrote:While Pixl's pictures are still up for grabs I thought I might once again throw my hat into the ring.

And a one lane bridge in the background. Yeah, that's a good one. Hmmmmmmmm.........
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:While Pixl's pictures are still up for grabs I thought I might once again throw my hat into the ring.

And a one lane bridge in the background. Yeah, that's a good one. Hmmmmmmmm.........
I will say this JT, and this goes for everyone else that knows where the majority of my stuff comes from, it is NOT, I repeat NOT in Kent County. :lol:

This is also not on Street View, so your gonna have to dig for this one.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Pixl wrote:I see most of us erase street signs as to not give the location away too quickly. This time I left that info in as the key clue, along with compass, after all how many towns have a streets names like Walnut or Railroad! :o See if you can find this SE location.

Looking East there are active rails at the top of the hill.

Looking West

North view
Nice misdirect. Southeast Reading, not southeast Michigan... :roll:
~ Charles W.

James Sofonia

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:
Pixl wrote:I see most of us erase street signs as to not give the location away too quickly. This time I left that info in as the key clue, along with compass, after all how many towns have a streets names like Walnut or Railroad! :o See if you can find this SE location.
Nice misdirect. Southeast Reading, not southeast Michigan... :roll:
Nice work, you are quite correct!

I do think it squeaks in as being in the SE quadrant, but you found it.