Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Re: Where am I?

Unread post by James Sofonia »

I like the graffiti under this bridge, seemed worthy of posting.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

There is not a rail line near here. It was abandoned a very long time ago.
Pixl wrote:
GreatLakesRailfan wrote:This one might be easy. Because AARR and Steve W. were present when this was taken, I'd prefer they not respond. AARR might even be in the picture...

I take it is near a rail line, perhaps behind the camera? Would that still be active?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

James Sofonia

AARR wrote:There is not a rail line near here. It was abandoned a very long time ago.
Pixl wrote:
GreatLakesRailfan wrote:This one might be easy. Because AARR and Steve W. were present when this was taken, I'd prefer they not respond. AARR might even be in the picture...

I take it is near a rail line, perhaps behind the camera? Would that still be active?
So does that mean there is abandoned route nearby, or is this just a curios finding?
Last edited by James Sofonia on Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Where you see the person walking is where the ROW was. I think it was abandoned in the 1940's...GLRF can confirm.
Pixl wrote:There is not a rail line near here. It was abandoned a very long time ago.
This one might be easy. Because AARR and Steve W. were present when this was taken, I'd prefer they not respond. AARR might even be in the picture...

So those that mean there is abandoned route nearby, or is this just a curios finding?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Pixl wrote:
GreatLakesRailfan wrote:Here's another easy one. Sorry for the multiple photo posts, I don't anticipate checking the thread with the computer again for a while and wanted to get these up before they slipped my mind (again).
Pride and Country Village in Saginaw.
Did You buy an ice crean while you were there? :D
Technically, it's east of Saginaw, in Buena Vista Twp, I believe, but close enough. Date on the photo is 6-23-12. I've had ice cream here, but it was probably at least 15 years or so ago.
~ Charles W.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

It was abandoned well after the 1940's. One source says the last train to travel the full length of the line was in 1984, another says it was removed in 1986.
AARR wrote:Where you see the person walking is where the ROW was. I think it was abandoned in the 1940's...GLRF can confirm.
Pixl wrote:There is not a rail line near here. It was abandoned a very long time ago.
This one might be easy. Because AARR and SW. were present when this was taken, I'd prefer they not respond. AARR might even be in the picture...

So those that mean there is abandoned route nearby, or is this just a curios finding?

Vassar has a bridge like this.
Pixl wrote:I like the graffiti under this bridge, seemed worthy of posting.

~ Charles W.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

Ann Arbor! The bridge is the ARRR. I think all the bridges in Ann Arbor are painted up.

Did you noticed the embedded rails just up the road? Those rails would have and did at one time connect the AARR to the NS/AMTRAK line but it is a pretty steep grade over a short distance and unlikely it will ever be used again.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Oops, I was confused for a moment :lol: :oops:
GreatLakesRailfan wrote:It was abandoned well after the 1940's. One source says the last train to travel the full length of the line was in 1984, another says it was removed in 1986.

Where you see the person walking is where the ROW was. I think it was abandoned in the 1940's...GLRF can confirm.
There is not a rail line near here. It was abandoned a very long time ago.
This one might be easy. Because AARR and SW. were present when this was taken, I'd prefer they not respond. AARR might even be in the picture...

James Sofonia

Michael wrote:

Ann Arbor! The bridge is the ARRR. I think all the bridges in Ann Arbor are painted up.

Did you noticed the embedded rails just up the road? Those rails would have and did at one time connect the AARR to the NS/AMTRAK line but it is a pretty steep grade over a short distance and unlikely it will ever be used again.
Michael, as usual you are correct. I see what you mean about the other bridges being painted up actually quite good.
I found your embedded rail connector. It probably was cool to see a loco climb up that steep thing.
Attachments
aa.jpg

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

Pixl wrote:
Michael wrote:

Michael, as usual you are correct. I see what you mean about the other bridges being painted up actually quite good.
I found your embedded rail connector. It probably was cool to see a loco climb up that steep thing.
Penn central volumes 1&2 feature a few shots of trains coming up and down the connector. It is quite impressive.
None of the other bridges are decorated quite to the extent that this one is in AA IIRC
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

2 lines crossed here just south of town. The LS&MS below and CN on the bridge overhead...That is Cincinnati Northern (later NYC, Penn Central & Conrail)
A bit of trivia; The town was eventually named after it's main industry/company.
Also It was the first factory in the world to have its machinery and lights completely powered by electricity in 1899.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Michael wrote:2 lines crossed here just south of town. The LS&MS below and CN on the bridge overhead...That is Cincinnati Northern (later NYC, Penn Central & Conrail)
A bit of trivia; The town was eventually named after it's main industry/company.
Also It was the first factory in the world to have its machinery and lights completely powered by electricity in 1899.
I'm going with Cement City.
Looks like there's also a decent bridge just south of this junction across Goose Creek still in place.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I agree with ~Z~, Cement City.
~Z~ wrote:
Michael wrote:2 lines crossed here just south of town. The LS&MS below and CN on the bridge overhead...That is Cincinnati Northern (later NYC, Penn Central & Conrail)
I'm going with Cement City.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

Cement City is correct guys. Too easy?

How about this one

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I wouldn't have guessed it without your hints :wink:
Michael wrote:Cement City is correct guys. Too easy?

cfriedri
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cfriedri »

How about this one
Just south of Tecumseh on the SMRS?
Connor

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

cfriedri wrote:

How about this one
Just south of Tecumseh on the SMRS?
You got it.

Michael
Stuck in mud

Unread post by Michael »

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Michael wrote:Image
Brighton with a future 'ski resort' aka landfill behind it?
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

ConrailMan5 wrote: Penn central volumes 1&2 feature a few shots of trains coming up and down the connector. It is quite impressive.
That would be cool to see. Do you know if anyone has put that video on youtube? Ever since going to AA for the first time 30+ years ago, I've always wanted to see a train on those tracks.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.