Train Festival 2009: Update

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Re: Train Festival 2009: Update

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:Um from what I have heard, its already, north of the boarder.
North of the border as in already on michigan? if anyone knows when it gets to toledo if they could please post. thanks.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

If its already in Michigan, it would be past Toledo, which is in Ohio.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

JANGAJONGA wrote:
sd70accsxt700 wrote:Um from what I have heard, its already, north of the border.
North of the border as in already on michigan?

No, north of the border as in the border of the U.S. and Mexico.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

GTWFRED
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWFRED »

J T wrote:JANGAJONGA wrote:
sd70accsxt700 wrote:
Um from what I have heard, its already, north of the border.

North of the border as in already on michigan?

No, north of the border as in the border of the U.S. and Mexico.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

EJ&ESDM809
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EJ&ESDM809 »

I have been told by someone that they got tickets for the train and it says it will stop in Milwaukee on the way down to Chicago, which would mean it would not go down the racetrack and down the CP instead. Has anyone else heard about this? I really hope it takes the BNSF because if it takes the CP, I won't be able to get 4449 on the 18th.
Robby Gragg - Proud fan of the EJ&E Railway

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

Too many people are ill-informed or confused about this issue. Here are the facts:
The eastbound train is NOT, I repeat, NOT going through Milwaukee and IS in fact running over BNSF rails. There is a big reason for this: The 4449 cannot enter Chicago Union Station due to high clearances. Taking the engine over CP via Milwaukee would force a difficult and cumbersome detour over UP to reach the south/east end of the terminal, whereas taking the Racetrack into the city would put the engine right where it needs to be to continue the trip east in the morning, and further expidites the movement.
On the return trip to Minneapolis, there is a one day layover in Chicago, which allows the engine adequate time to be repositioned on the north end of the station, allowing the train to visit Milwaukee on the return trip.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

EJ&ESDM809 wrote:I have been told by someone that they got tickets for the train and it says it will stop in Milwaukee on the way down to Chicago, which would mean it would not go down the racetrack and down the CP instead. Has anyone else heard about this? I really hope it takes the BNSF because if it takes the CP, I won't be able to get 4449 on the 18th.
Well, the route has them going through Milwaukee as they head west on August 2/3, so maybe you can catch them then?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Jeff L
(00:00:00) Jeff L: #1

Unread post by Jeff L »

My local newspaper published an article on SP4449.
http://www.themorningsun.com/articles/2 ... 750678.txt

This newspaper just better not flub their articles on these steam engines that come to Alma like last year. In fact, another example was from the GratiotCountyHerald no more than 2 weeks ago in an article that there would be "4" steam engines coming to Alma this month. No, there's gonna be 3. SP4449, PM1225, and NKP765. I have the article and I'm mailing it to SRI. I was recently asked by the newspaper through my dad that if they could have recent pics of SP4449, which I have, to publish for the paper. I told him and the newspaper...NO!! They can take pics when it comes to Alma.

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

I see the article says your dad is riding the train out of Chicago. Will I be seeing you there too, Jeff?

EJ&ESDM809
Railroadfan...fan

Well good its taking the BNSF. I plan on getting i around Steward, IL just souh of Rochelle. I'd do the racetrack, but I'm worried every station on the line is going to be wall to wall with people waiting for it.

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

For those who haven't been to SRI, or haven't visited yet this year, here's what the site is going to look like during the festival.
http://www.trainfestival2009.com/images ... al_map.jpg

signmasters
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by signmasters »

Anyone know anything about parking????????????????
A great photographer can make a great photo out of any kind of light from any angle at any time, life is not a studio! There is no such thing as bad light.

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

Well alright guys the southern unit will be leaving toledo around 9PM. i will catch up with it in AA and chase it up to osmer.

rwas
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rwas »

Does anyone here know if 4449 will be taking the CP/Amtrak route west out of Milwaukee on 8/3 to Minneapolis? I am interested as we will be vacationing in Wisconsin Dells on the 3rd and it would go through there if that is the route it is taking. If not, the intended route would be appreciated. Went to SP4449 site and it doesn't get real descriptive. The kids will be swimming and I will be chasing trains. Perfect vacation. Thanks, Ron

EJ&ESDM809
Railroadfan...fan

It will indeed be taking the CP through the Dells on August 3rd. Should be a pretty nice photo opportunity crossing the bridge there.

rwas
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rwas »

Thanks, Robby. If you have any suggestions as to locations I should target (you mentioned a bridge) I would appreciate it. Never been there but will be looking forward to photographing it here in Michigan and then in Wisconsin. Is that CP line busy and are there any other lines worth searching out, class 1's or shortlines in the Dells area? Thanks in advance for your insight. Ron

EJ&ESDM809
Railroadfan...fan

The location I would go to the the Dells is the bridge over the Wisconsin River, located right in downtown Wisconsin Dells. Access is easy, park by the golf course and walk over to the bridge. The Mid-Continent Railway museum is right nearby and currently has daily operation, as is the Riverside & Great Northern, a narrow gauge steam operation just north of downtown Dells, which also operates daily. The CP can be hit or miss, it all depends on what tim you see it. A scanner is useful as train will call out locations on it. There are two more trains to keep an eye out for on the CP, 486 and 487, which most of the time will either have a trio of DM&E/IC&E SD40-2s, a trio of CP SD40-2s or a mix of those two. It is pretty much one of the only trains on a class one in 2009 almost guarenteed to have pure SD40-2 sets.

rwas
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rwas »

Robby,
Do those two trains operate daily or as needed? Gonna be there from Sunday to Tuesday and would love to get photos of them. Any idea of what time of the day they run?

EJ&ESDM809
Railroadfan...fan

486 and 487 run 7 days a week. They are supposed to run 486 in the morning and 487 after Amtrak 7 but when I was there they were both coming just before or just after Amtrak 8 came in.

About 4449, it is on its way to Minot now and appears to be doing every bit of track spped. Dang is the GPS and Twitter useful!

astrovanman1989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by astrovanman1989 »

signmasters wrote:Anyone know anything about parking????????????????

i called about parking and some one over there that is a board member said people are on there own for finding parking
member of the
Soo Line historical society
DSS&A historical society
http://www.youtube.com/user/tricityrailfan