Train Festival 2009: Update

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
thomas
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Train Festival 2009: Update

Unread post by thomas »

hey guy's don't forget about the WEBCAM at rochelle ill. 4449 will pass right by it this afternoon...

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Gregg Pullano wrote:
MagnumForce wrote:
EJ&ESDM809 wrote:Ugh, there goes my chance to shoot 4449 under the Sears Tower. :(

You missed that chance the other day when it became the Harris Tower ;)
You're both wrong! It is now the Willits tower. :)
Although I'll always know it as the Sears tower.

Gah I knew that, I just had Harrisburg on my mind.

It's still Marshall Fields on Randolph too.

CN_Okemos
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CN_Okemos »

I'm going to play the conspiracy theorist here this morning and ask the question, are we sure that 765 is not moving to Michigan today to meet 4449 in Durand tomorrow like originally planned? I went to their twitter page at www.twitter.com/nickelplate765 and about an hour ago they posted a pic that says "next stop owosso".

I KNOW this doesnt mean theyve departed for owosso just yet. I just like keeping the thought open that they're on the move and using that as a subliminal message :lol:
Greg

Railfanning the nearly dead CSX Plymouth Sub and slightly more active CN Flint Sub.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

765 is leaving New Haven on Tuesday, of that I am almost 100% positive.

The wife and I may go to Ft. Wayne later, I will drive past the shop.

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

The GPS site for the 4449, is down due to a server overload. I'm kinda really amused by this.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

They are in LaCrosse right now, the next portion will be the most spectacular portion of the trip IMO. The Q along the Mississippi is my favorite piece of railroad in the country.

I would love to be at Palisades State park this Afternoon.

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

MagnumForce wrote:They are in LaCrosse right now, the next portion will be the most spectacular portion of the trip IMO. The Q along the Mississippi is my favorite piece of railroad in the country.

I would love to be at Palisades State park this Afternoon.
Quite a few years ago, the Soo Line Dispatchers went on strike, so my EB Empire Builder was detoured down this route to Chicago. Loved the ride too bad i was too young to truly understand the significance of the ride...

signmasters
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by signmasters »

They are departing from La Crosse!
A great photographer can make a great photo out of any kind of light from any angle at any time, life is not a studio! There is no such thing as bad light.

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

csxt4617 wrote:
As JT alluded to with his funny pic of Gary Coleman, it's actually Willis, not Willits. (not sure if that was an accidental typo, but since the T isn't near the I or S, I'll assume it wasn't :mrgreen:
Actually I guess it was a typo..not sure how it got there. :|
But yes, it's Willis....and I'm a block away from it as I type this. :)

signmasters
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by signmasters »

Rochelle Webcam 4449 5:13 my first time seeing her. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

A great photographer can make a great photo out of any kind of light from any angle at any time, life is not a studio! There is no such thing as bad light.

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

I am very confused. Half the people I have talked to, or hear from, say 4449 is coming under its own power at Durand. The other half have said that it is being towed by Amtrak engine. Does anyone know 100% sure of what is going to happen. I will be at Durand tomarrow and there better be steam engulphing the Durand union station!

Please let me know if anyone knows for sure!

CN_Okemos
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CN_Okemos »

It will be coming in under its own power. amtrak power is pulling the train from chicago to michigan city indiana where 4449 will again take over and come in under its own power.
Greg

Railfanning the nearly dead CSX Plymouth Sub and slightly more active CN Flint Sub.

Railnut
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by Railnut »

Prescott Wisconsin this morning...

Dave C

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

I am SO chasing! Waiting to get ahold of Chris, and I am gone. Looking for either South of Battle Creek, before the fuel stop which I presume will be 30+ minutes? Then as she is there, Ill race north. Video and Photos to follow! To Battle Creek or BUST!

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

So WAIT:

Is the 4449 departing Michigan City at 8:00CDT tomorrow, as if it were leaving from Chicago (thereby reaching Michigan destinations earlier in the day)? OR is it leaving around the time it would have passed through Michigan City anyways had it been starting the day in Chicago at 8:00CDT (9:00EDT)? Thanks!

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

No passenger train is departing CUS, at 08:00. Will meet 4449 in Michigan City. Right about now I woould guess that 4449 is around Downtown Chicago at the Amtrak shops getting serviced before heading back out the BNSF to the IHB and then on to Michigan City.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Ahh very good, thanks Matt! :lol:

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

James, Battle Creek is not a fuel stop. It is getting fueled for the trip at Amtrak's engine facility in Chicago as I type this.
Battle Creek is a brief, general service stop.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Ok, service stop. Got it.

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by strugglin »

Wow! What a day! Not the best steam chasing day of my life, that still belongs to June 15, 2002 when I chased the 3985 from Chicago to Milwaukee and back, but this day was right up there with it! If anyone is doubting whether or not it is worth the trip to see the Daylight, no matter how many miles you have to drive to see it, I can assure you, it will be worth every one of them! This engine is even more incredible in person, pictures just can not do it justice! Here's my story:

I left Columbus friday night to meet up with my brother from Cleveland in Toledo, got into Chicago very late, after 1 am. Got up early this morning, did some local railfanning in Franklin Park, my personal favorite spot in Chicago, before heading out to Rochelle in the afternoon to catch the 4449. Even though it was over an hour late, seeing it for the first time was worth every minute I waited! Even got to meet the infamous Pat C at the Steward Rd grade crossing just outside of Rochelle by sheer coincidence! Managed to see the 4449 four times between Rochelle and Aurora, as well as pacing it along Route 30, but only by braking the law on numerous speed limits along the route! Got to see it one more time after it made a brief stop in Naperville at Lisle before it became impossible to chase into downtown Chicago. Then, waited around until after 11 pm local time to watch it literally crawl down the spur south onto the IHB at LaGrange. That spur was so steep and sharp and I was so nervous praying it would not derail, listening to those rails squeak and moan as it slowly worked its way down, but it made it!

Now, I'm just trying to curb the adrenaline, because I need to get to sleep! I have to get up nice and early to get down to Michigan City, and get some shots of the Daylight as she glistens in the morning sun. I look forward to blowing past anyone pacing the train in Michigan tomorrow, ha ha ha, see you in Durand!