More new signals on the Grand Rapids sub

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
CSX_CO
Over and Out

Re: More new signals on the Grand Rapids sub

Unread post by CSX_CO »

barnstormer wrote:Exactly how the service track comes into play, he didn't say. (Could put electric unlocks at the switches on both ends of the service track)

-barny
For tracks with speeds under 30 mph, no need for additional locking on hand throw switches.

Practice Safe CSX

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

In light of the fact that Lamar's signals and perhaps track layout will be changing in the near future, here are a couple shots of X500 (also now gone) coming into Wyoming Yard back in 2009.

rob
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89601546@N02/8653844722/

the main through the yard will not be signal . if it was there would be more then one head on this signal. all this signal will show is approach or stop.

Rob

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Doktor No wrote:No it will show restricting or stop. Yellow into non signaled territory is restricting.
The new signals will probably conform to "Seaboard" rules, and "Lunar White" will be restricting.

Practice Safe CSX

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

CSX_CO wrote:
Doktor No wrote:No it will show restricting or stop. Yellow into non signaled territory is restricting.
The new signals will probably conform to "Seaboard" rules, and "Lunar White" will be restricting.

Practice Safe CSX
Seaboard is what they have been using on all the GR sub (and most if not everywhere systemwide) for replacements.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

CSX_CO wrote:

Practice Safe CSX
I was gonna say, with Seaboard rules, a yellow over red on a dwarf is a slow approach. Then I remembered the signals in the area Dok is talking about are likely still C&O rules, so that would infact be a restricting.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

SD80MAC wrote:
CSX_CO wrote:

Practice Safe CSX
I was gonna say, with Seaboard rules, a yellow over red on a dwarf is a slow approach. Then I remembered the signals in the area Dok is talking about are likely still C&O rules, so that would infact be a restricting.
Right, but with new installations they're generally opting to go with "Seaboard" indications. So, the 'new' signals will probably conform to "Seaboard" Rules, which CSX is adopting as the system standard.

Practice Safe CSX

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

There is a new EB mast at plaster creek. Signals turned away from track.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

Creeping up on the Godfrey signals.... I gotta get out there before its gone.
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

MQT3001 wrote:The answer for the EB Signals at Lamar is: Cantilever! The mast is up on the north side of the tracks just west of Lamar. No cantilever portion just yet.
It's all up now...
New Lamar EB signals; For Reference by cnw8835, on Flickr

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

What a sexy looking signal bridge! Wow! I wonder how often the dispatcher will have to call up that high-mount signal for the reefer track?

Nice photo, Jon. What train is that coming in? I wonder what sort of signal setup there will be for WB moves out of Lamar....

rob
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob »

GP30M4216 wrote:What a sexy looking signal bridge! Wow! I wonder how often the dispatcher will have to call up that high-mount signal for the reefer track?

Nice photo, Jon. What train is that coming in? I wonder what sort of signal setup there will be for WB moves out of Lamar....

that was q326 an 11,000 ton train from Chicago.

Rob

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

GP30M4216 wrote:What a sexy looking signal bridge! Wow!
And the distant future, railfans will lament the loss of that signal bridge as it's replaced by the latest and greatest signaling system. But at the rate technology is moving, that future may not be so distant.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

J T wrote:
And the distant future, railfans will lament the loss of that signal bridge as it's replaced by the latest and greatest signaling system.
Which, sad to say for railfans, will likely be devoid of wayside signals.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

J T wrote:
And the distant future, railfans will lament the loss of that signal bridge as it's replaced by the latest and greatest signaling system. But at the rate technology is moving, that future may not be so distant.
Yes, the searchlight signals coming down have only been installed for what, 65+ years?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Another new signal in Wyoming. There is a new WAS Lamar, 3-head mast, but didn't get to look to see which track it is on. Pretty sure it wasn't the main or industry lead, can only show slow-speed aspects, as the top two heads are red only.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

MQT3001 wrote:Another new signal in Wyoming. There is a new WAS Lamar, 3-head mast, but didn't get to look to see which track it is on. Pretty sure it wasn't the main or industry lead, can only show slow-speed aspects, as the top two heads are red only.
Scratch that, it is on the Industry. Just got a peak from the Chicago Drive / 196 connectors. Slow speed only, at least 3 heads on the bottom. No other action on either end regarding signals.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Made it down to Plaster Creek to get some photos of the signals. Looks like they are all in now. Here is a set of pictures from down there.
WASs at Plaster Creek by MQT3001, on Flickr
EASs at Plaster Creek by MQT3001, on Flickr
Plaster Creek CG 2.00, Box B by MQT3001, on Flickr
EASs Plaster Creek by MQT3001, on Flickr
Another look by MQT3001, on Flickr
EASs at Plaster Creek by MQT3001, on Flickr

I see they have them all in at Lamar too, but no place to get a good picture from without trespassing. Looks like 4-lights for 2 track, along with three* on the Even Lead to go with the 2 & 3 head masts on the Main and Industry Lead respectively.

*Might be four. Any comfirmation of this or any other Lamar signals would be great!

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Made up a sketch of both Lamar and Plaster Creek based on what I have seen. Corrections if you spot an error, please :)

Lamar & Plaster Creek Sketches by MQT3001, on Flickr

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

After seeing the Amtrak extra and coal train this afternoon, I noticed the signal at Riverside went off.
I thought absolute signals stayed lit. Based on the fact that the House of David museum had lights on inside, I'm guessing there wasn't a power outage. The parking lot was full at the Riverside Tavern, but cleared out, so maybe there was a partial power outage.
I thought power outages activated crossing signals, as earlier this year the power went out at work shortly before I got off, and all crossings affected (Riverside Rd, Fikes Rd, Kerlekowske Rd, Bessemer Rd, and Coloma Rd) all activated.

I had my scanner on afterwards, heard no signal maintainers, and the westbound train went through without delay.

Did something change on 12/1/13?
Jeff O.
Celebrating over 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1