A couple going ons in Lake O

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

A couple going ons in Lake O

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

CSX is tearing out some track in Lake Odessa. Theyve tore out the far east end switch of the passing siding. This section of track is used only by Twin City Foods. I would expect them to eventually remove the track all the way to past Tupper Lake St. Ive seen CSX maybee use this section of track between Tupper Lake St. and 4th Ave. a time or 2 at most.
Image\

Also today, a demolition company is starting to demolish the old Smit Brothers elevator. Im not sure if theyre tearing down the whole elevator. I see some new piping in the back so they may be simply renovating.
Nick

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: A couple going ons in Lake O

Unread post by AARR »

Does Twin Cities still get rail service?

The Andersons just acquired one of the eleavtors between Lansing and Grand Rapids but I don't recall which one.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Don Simon wrote:Does Twin Cities still get rail service?

The Andersons just acquired one of the eleavtors between Lansing and Grand Rapids but I don't recall which one.
As far as I know yes Twin Cities still gets rail service. Been seeing CryoTrans reefers insted of BNSF reefers, at least lately. The Andersons bought the elevator in Woodbury. It does not get rail service and I dont think it ever has, at least in my time. It is at the corner of M66 and the CSX main so it may get rail service eventually. I know The Andersons like using rail. I dont know how many AEX hoppers are riding around out there.
Nick

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

The Andersons bought the elevator in Woodbury. It does not get rail service and I dont think it ever has, at least in my time. It is at the corner of M66 and the CSX main so it may get rail service eventually. I know The Andersons like using rail. I dont know how many AEX hoppers are riding around out there.
It's possible the acquired it for additional corn storage for theirethanol plant in Albion. If that's the case you probably won't see rail service as tehy'll simply truck it.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

rob
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob »

that was the switch to the team track ,it did not have any thing to do with the passing siding.

rob

CN_Okemos
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CN_Okemos »

Thanks for the photos GrandTrunkFan!
Greg

Railfanning the nearly dead CSX Plymouth Sub and slightly more active CN Flint Sub.

Typhoon
Rock you like a Hurricane

Unread post by Typhoon »

GrandTrunkFan wrote:
Don Simon wrote:Does Twin Cities still get rail service?

As far as I know yes Twin Cities still gets rail service. Been seeing CryoTrans reefers insted of BNSF reefers, at least lately. The Andersons bought the elevator in Woodbury. It does not get rail service and I dont think it ever has, at least in my time. It is at the corner of M66 and the CSX main so it may get rail service eventually. I know The Andersons like using rail. I dont know how many AEX hoppers are riding around out there.
Twin Cities had two cars spotted yesterday by D708.

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Just an update on the elevator I heard:
http://www.sentinel-standard.com/articl ... 01news.txt

Two workers were hurt when the elevator leg buckled and collapsed. There were no casualties, thankfully! I took a look at the damage and it looks nasty. Hopefully on Sunday I can get out there and get some pictures of the collapse and post them here.
Nick

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Sorry to drag up an old post but I thought Id post in this one rather than start a new one. I was talking to one of the employees of the Caledonia Farmers Elevator I work with part time at another job and he said since the current elevator site that collapsed in Lake O will not be rebuilt, CFE will be building a brand new elevator outside of town. And yes it will be served by rail! :) Dont know any figures for car counts or anything, I just know it will be solely used for corn. Good news to hear that a new spur will be added and some more cars will be switched in Lake O. Doubt it will be anything able to handle unit trains but its fun to dream that. Expect it to be built by harvest time next year. That collapse hurt them this year and hurt their outbound carloads for the season.
Nick

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

Great Pictures of the elevator demo and railroad in Lake O!!!

Do you ever get over to Woodbury and see any switching at the ethanol plant there???
"If I Harp at you, it is only to Spur you on!

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Larry G wrote:Great Pictures of the elevator demo and railroad in Lake O!!!

Do you ever get over to Woodbury and see any switching at the ethanol plant there???
Thanks. Theyre a few months old. Theres only a couple bins left there and they will be tore down soon. Ive been out there a couple times and seen them switch but just in passing. The only time Ive fanned them switching was when it got its very first delivery.
Nick