Marion Question

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

Marion Question

Unread post by Huelsy'sTrainBlog »

It has been easily 8 years since I have visited Marion during the day. What are some good places around town to eat and such. I only go at night when the places are closed.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Re: Marion Question

Unread post by railohio »

All of the chains are on the east side along U.S. 23. There is also a McD's north of downtown on Rt. 4. I usually eat at The Shovel which is in the same lot as the station or at the Subway a short walk west on Center Street. Another popular spot in The Warehouse on the west side of downtown on Center Street.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks! Like I said I only go to Marion at night.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

railohio wrote:The Shovel
He asked for "good places" - I don't think they qualify! :twisted: :lol:

(breakfast was good & cheap, but I have yet to eat a dinner there I thought was worth the money and it is not an expensive place)
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

The kitchen at The Shovel closes at 9 (there are rarely any cars in the parking lot afterwards anyway - The Shovel isn't as rough of a place as it used to be). I'm not sure how late The Warehouse is open, but I'll take a shot in the dark and say that it's closed by 10 or 11. I'm assuming the Subway inside Moto Mart is open 24 hours as the rest of the store is but I don't know for sure. The McDonald's on Route 423 on the south side of town is open 24 hours and I would imagine the one on the east side of town on Route 95 is, too. As for the one just north of downtown on Route 4, I don't know.

There is a Denny's on Route 95 not quite all the way out on the east side of town and there is a Steak 'n Shake on the other side of 23. Depending on how late you're there, your food options are pretty limited.

Brakie
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brakie »

I use to call a pizza shop for a sub and had it delivered to the Station.I suspect they may still deliver to the station.

Motormart(you can see it from the station) use to have a decent sub..
Larry.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Brakie wrote:I use to call a pizza shop for a sub and had it delivered to the Station.I suspect they may still deliver to the station.
The guys at the model railroad club order from Pizza Brothers all the time (local place - pretty good pizza). They are open until 11 PM, midnight, or 1 AM depending on the day of the week.
Brakie wrote:Motormart(you can see it from the station) use to have a decent sub..
There is a full Subway there now.

Brakie
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brakie »

cbehr91 wrote:
Brakie wrote:I use to call a pizza shop for a sub and had it delivered to the Station.I suspect they may still deliver to the station.
The guys at the model railroad club order from Pizza Brothers all the time (local place - pretty good pizza). They are open until 11 PM, midnight, or 1 AM depending on the day of the week.
Brakie wrote:Motormart(you can see it from the station) use to have a decent sub..
That's cool! I haven't been to Motormart since last year..I was in Marion once this year for the RPM gathering back in May and never made it back over there to railfan...
Larry.

Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

cbehr91 wrote:
I will have to try the pizza place! I also will have to try out The Shovel. Anyone else have any other opinions on The Shovel?

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

They have a full menu, but bar food (i.e. burgers and fries) is about all they can consistently get right.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

I have ate at the Shovel several times while in Marion and I've got no complaints about their food or service. It may be a little pricey depending on what you order, but at least its trackside and you can leave your car parked next to the depot and walk there :D
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

conrailman75 wrote:It may be a little pricey depending on what you order
What item on their menu did you think was expensive? Their most expensive steak is like $18, I can't imagine anything on their menu that would be more.

Brakie
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brakie »

I don't know about their $18 steak but,their Walleye is/was delicious-I haven't dine there since 2006 and IIRC it was all the Walleye you can eat for $7.99.
Larry.

berkmeister
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by berkmeister »

I have ate at the Shovel several times in the early 2000's when i last railfanned Marion. Their breakfasts are good-tasting and filling. Their lunch is good enough (although typical bar food) I've ate supper there, it's OK, nothing to write home about but it's tasty and relatively cheap. But best of all, it right there between the C&O and N&W mainlines!!!! I heard they have an outdoor seating area on the N&W side; that's cool, sit there, eat and drink and watch NS trains go buy! Almost a perfect railfan scenario! Berkmeister :D

GenXRailMedia
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GenXRailMedia »

railohio wrote:They have a full menu, but bar food (i.e. burgers and fries) is about all they can consistently get right.
The last monthly meeting was my first time ever in the Shovel. Decent. It filled me up, which is no small feat...and our server kinda reminded me of Zooey Deschanel (she works for tips, right Railohio?) but I digress. There's also a Sonic out by 23 and 95 if you're desperate, but I'd probably just starve to death instead.
"I'll stop you by the radio there, TV-19."

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/kc8wjg/

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/GenXRailMedia?feature=mhee