NS Heritage units: Wabash/IT in Ft. Wayne...

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

NS Heritage units: Wabash/IT in Ft. Wayne...

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

I know this is Indiana info. But we were going to the CF&E yard in the Fort Wayne. First stopped by the NS East Wayne yard and the Wabash and Illinois Terminal NS Heritage units are sitting down by the turntable. Have been since yesterday. Got to the CF&E Piqua yard and west of the tower was SCRF 6412 yes 6412 with CF&E 3886. Had heard this unit was to be coming but finally saw it. The SCRF 6415 was east of the tower at the CF&E yard. Also there was NREX 5587? and IORY 4036. On the way out of New Haven on St. Rt. 114 we discovered BNSF warbonnet 784 on a NS coal train between 2 NS units. We got pics but I'm not computer savvy. Need help on that. Maybe I'll eventually run into alittlevanwerty and get a crash course on putting pics/video online. :lol: Got a HD video camera awhile back, but still need a tripod. Haven't got to use it yet. Haven't been railfanning lately. Help! :lol:

PW

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Re: NS Heritage units: Wabash/IT in Ft. Wayne...

Unread post by MagnumForce »

The Wabash Unit is hooking up with 765, no idea what the IT unit is doing yet.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

Well I created a flickr account to be able to paste here. With flickr click on the thumbnail to select the pic, click the share button on the to left of the pic, select Grab the HTML/BBCode, choose image size (i use 500x333), select BBCode and paste the contents of the box.

For youtube, click share, copy the code. On RRfan click the youtube button and this will appear
[youtube][/youtube], http://youtu.be/HLG4k1zzAmM paste the code after the youtu.be/ between the brackets.

I always preview so I paste the same vid twice or some other error. Im not computer savy by a long shot, I am years behind everyone it seems lol. If you see me/us out railfanning be sure to stop for a chat, I'm always wearing a faded green csx hat! I had an engineer for CSX ask last week if I worked for CSX because its a company issue to employees hat.

I've seen 6412 and 6415 parked together in FTW. I heard that Lima crew wants to run it cause its a good puller.

Which is the piqua yard? FTW is diificult to fan.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

The CF&E yard/Piqua is down behind the old international Harvester complex. It's by the new CF&E yard office and loco/car repair buildings. You've probably been there before. The tower is gray in color w/blue and red stripes. That was the first time we saw the SCRF 6412. The CF&E yard is also home to the NS Triple Crown services. it's neat if you're down there when NS Triple Crown is swinging back over to NS trackage from their TC yard from the CF&E. 8)

PW

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

By the new shop is where I saw 6412. Ive been by there but not really sure of a good spot/spots to railfan without trespassing.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

CF&E East
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CF&E East »

Nice pictures Brent, Thanks for sharing. They sure look good!

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Rumor mills point to BOTH IT and Wabash going with 765. Apparently they can't turn the train in St. Louis :?

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

Those two units are still sitting by the turntable as of 2pm today when I left New Haven to drive back home after spending the weekend visiting family(and yes, I got plenty of pics of those 2 units while I was in town!)
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Scott - Piqua yard is the yard next to the CFE shop building. It used to be the old PRR yard and in fact that old gray painted tower used to be the hump tower at one time. This yard holds a special place in my heart because its where my late grandfather used to work until he passed away in 1979.

As for places to railfan on it, I'd say its more of a hit and run type deal. Go in by the shop, shoot what you want and then get out because there are no good places by the yard to sit and watch and besides, the neighborhood around there isn't the world's best if you get my drift(its safe during daylight, but I would not get caught there at night). The best places to fan the CFE are east of town out in the country south of New Haven, like the crossing at Paulding Road near Hartzell, and the Tillman Road crossing east of Minnich. There are other crossings between there and the state line worth checking out as well. I know it seems hard, but I managed to find places to shoot the line when I used to live in New Haven so it can be done.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Yes, they will sit by the turntable till tomorrow morning when L75 likely drops them off at Casad.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

I'll give it a try again sooner or later, it's difficult to railfan w/o a scanner and unfamiliar streets. Yes I've found at least 1 bad street in FW, I parked at a closed shop to catch a NS ocal. After it passed, a pickup with 2 not so nice looking guys blocked me in and questioned what I was filming. Won't catch me at that xing anymore.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

If you haven't already, go checkout the website Fort Wayne Railfan, there is a bunch of good info on 'fanning in the Ft. Wayne area on it.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Just remember your hobby is silly and people have every right in the world to wonder what you are doing.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

I never hesitate to tell people I'm filming trains, don't want anyone thinking I'm a stalker or looking for things to steal.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown