Durand Memorial Railroad Park

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
pica
Railroadfan...fan

Durand Memorial Railroad Park

Unread post by pica »

I just saw the final plans for the Park that Durand is planing on building on most of the vacant land surrounding the depot. The plans call for shopping, cafes, sports fields, a water park, a pedestrian bridge over the Canadian National tracks, and some other things. Looks like it could be really nice when completed.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Durand Memorial Railroad Park

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

What, no bleachers for us?

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

Now all they need is money. Been in the planning stages forever. Some day it might get built.
Norm

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I guess when the long rumored intermodal yard plans fell through they came up with the Memorial Park as the back up plan :wink:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

Any money that could be raised for this project should instead go to repairs and long-term upkeep of the depot-- perhaps starting an endowment. IF the depot is truly put on long-term sound financial condition, then maybe the park could be get built. I don't want to see the building, maintenance and repair of the park competing for scarce dollars with upkeep of the depot. As things stand now, the depot needs a lot of door / window trim repaired and repainted, and there are still projects to be done that would make it more fully restored--replacement of the missing canopy globe lights and restoration of the remaining boarded-up windows (except perhaps, for security reasons, the ones by the model RR club).

And yes, I have contributed to the station, although not very recently-- too many RR historical groups and not enough money in my budget to help them all.

Evan
Durand's Gingerbread Kid

Unread post by Evan »

I seriously doubt the CN Would approve Durand putting a cat-walk over the Flint sub. My reasoning:
A. Would likely delay or tie any or all traffic when being built.
B. One of the reasons they wanna build it (or so I think) is to cut down the amount of trespassers, and that probably won't do that.
C. Money. The #1 thing they need, and even when they get enough of it, it's gonna be at least year or so for them to complete the project.
Sounds very cool and all, but I will believe something when I see it.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Evan wrote:I seriously doubt the CN Would approve Durand putting a cat-walk over the Flint sub. My reasoning:
B. One of the reasons they wanna build it (or so I think) is to cut down the amount of trespassers, and that probably won't do that.
A: All it would take is a 2 hour window to set it in place.
B: A good solid fence and some enforcement will end the trespassing

Evan
Durand's Gingerbread Kid

Unread post by Evan »

Raildudes dad wrote:
Evan wrote:I seriously doubt the CN Would approve Durand putting a cat-walk over the Flint sub. My reasoning:
A: All it would take is a 2 hour window to set it in place.
B: A good solid fence and some enforcement will end the trespassing
Nothing seems to happen to the trespassers in Durand. Only during RR Days does something happen.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I think it would cut down on trespassers going from the station into town. One of my objections to CN's trespassing policy is when the cite people who cut across the tracks in front of the station toward town. It is a very long walk around and only takes minimal time to cross the tracks there. I hope they do go through with the cat-walk at this location.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

The locals trespass much more than railfans.
Norm

pica
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pica »

Norm wrote:The locals trespass much more than railfans.
Agreed. Every time I'm in Durand I always see kids carrying their bikes across the diamond or across the tracks.

j32885
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by j32885 »

Here's some more info on the railpark.

National Railroad Memorial Inc
http://www.nationalrailroadmemorial.com/

National Railroad Memorial Inc/Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/pages/National ... 6026882528

Durand Now, "THE RAILROAD LEGACY LIVES ON": DIAMOND DISTRICT PARK FINAL CONCEPT"
http://www.durandnow.com/Stories-The-Ra ... ncept.html

Enjoy! 8)

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

Steve B wrote:Any money that could be raised for this project should instead go to repairs and long-term upkeep of the depot-- perhaps starting an endowment. IF the depot is truly put on long-term sound financial condition, then maybe the park could be get built. I don't want to see the building, maintenance and repair of the park competing for scarce dollars with upkeep of the depot. As things stand now, the depot needs a lot of door / window trim repaired and repainted, and there are still projects to be done that would make it more fully restored--replacement of the missing canopy globe lights and restoration of the remaining boarded-up windows (except perhaps, for security reasons, the ones by the model RR club).

And yes, I have contributed to the station, although not very recently-- too many RR historical groups and not enough money in my budget to help them all.
The Model RR Club does not want the windows unboarded for 2 reason, Security is one of them, and 2, the end of the building does not have A/C and it stays cooler in the summer with no windows