Train Festival 2009: Update

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Train Festival 2009: Update

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

I got up there with my dad and checked it out thursday. It was a great event, it stopped raining about when we got there and was fine after that, other than some mud. I saw a few people using wheelchairs and someone on crutches, it wasn't that bad getting around. I'm sure its fine today. I was disappointed to not see more locos moving, just the Little River excursion coming and going ever hour, which didn't come all the way down to where you could watch it from inside the event. We stuck around to see the 4449 get back around 5:30, and I got to see the Little River engine take a spin on the turntable. I wish they had the PM or NKP at least moving around a little bit once in a while! All in all it was awesome!

mikekmac
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mikekmac »

Do I understand correctly that the Alma excursions are boarding on the west side of South Washington, outside of the SRI grounds? If so, is there any access to that area for non-riders, with or without wristbands, to take photos?

Also, I thought I read that S Washington was closed (presumably to vehicles, not pedestrians) between the river and Howard. If so, does that mean that both sides of S. Washington are effectively the SRI grounds for the duration of the event? Where are the actual gates/admission booths?

mikekmac
Railroadfan...fan

Hogger1225 wrote:If you are familiar with the site, I believe that Chemical Bank, just across the river, is donating most of their parking area for Handicapped Parking.
I'm not familiar with the site, but Google Maps is my friend. Thanks for the tip.

mikekmac
Railroadfan...fan

Is there any food on the grounds?

mikerm19
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mikerm19 »

765 arriving at Owosso and 1225 and 63 help give her a welcome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEELwKZGxcA
Mike
http://www.mitrain.net Come see us!

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

mikekmac wrote:Is there any food on the grounds?
There are plenty of food vendors on the grounds. Burger and hotdog-type stuff, mainly.
-Fritz Milhaupt

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

mikekmac wrote:Do I understand correctly that the Alma excursions are boarding on the west side of South Washington, outside of the SRI grounds? If so, is there any access to that area for non-riders, with or without wristbands, to take photos?

Also, I thought I read that S Washington was closed (presumably to vehicles, not pedestrians) between the river and Howard. If so, does that mean that both sides of S. Washington are effectively the SRI grounds for the duration of the event? Where are the actual gates/admission booths?

Yes the excusions board West of the street, not actually sure about access for non-riders. Washington is closed to cars, but is available for all. The entrance to the fest is through the normal gates at the sidewalk.

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

Update from Owosso:

It should be widely known by now, but just for the record, I am putting it here. Early this morning a boiler tube/flue on 1225 failed and caused the subsequent failures of four others. The exact extent of the damage is not entirely known yet, but the decision was made to drop the fire on the locomotive for the rest of the festival. Saturday's day trip, originally scheduled to be hauled by 1225, will now be hauled by 765. I believe 1225 will still be on public display, although I am not entirely sure.

CamasChris
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CamasChris »

The same thing happened to UP 844 during Sacramento Railfair. Good (but bad) thing it happened while sitting still and not out on the road.

Gov. Crappo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Gov. Crappo »

hopes and prayers its not catostrophicly terminal..... :(
i hate the interstate and the infernal combustion engine
nothing is sweeter then the smell of coalsmoke in the morning
"hey are you waiting for a train too?"

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

Anybody else catch the Central Michigan (whatever they are these days :? ) in Owosso today. I was checking out the short excursions with the 110 and heard an extra horn.

8804 & 4 boxcars Ebd at Cedar St at 12:45

EJ&ESDM809
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EJ&ESDM809 »

I caught the CM just outside of Durand, and also the HESR twice as well as the GLC. The event itself has been going excellent and I'll be there again today.
Robby Gragg - Proud fan of the EJ&E Railway

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

I'm hearing we had 6,000 people here on Thursday and 15,000 yesterday. If these figures hold up, today is probably going to be the biggest day yet.

mikekmac
Railroadfan...fan

Can anyone confirm that the ticket booth is taking credit/debit cards?

Gov. Crappo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Gov. Crappo »

had a good time today....little rain made for chance to meet people under whatever tent you were in :D

crowded crowded...wow there was people...my ticket number is 27,450..if that means anything :shock:

of course the one thing i realy realy wanted i counldnt find..( a Pennsy hat...all sold out i guess)

kids loved it too...realy liked the 1 1/2" scale ride we took...short but cool

missed the 110...just to many people

hard to get shots of the other engines and EQ. but they are posted :roll:

great to meet Pat C ,JT,Big Frank,Gregg (again),mr Topps, conrailjohn(mikejimbob?)...look forward to the next time...first round on me :wink: :D
good to meet Zack also....thanks again for this site Z
i hate the interstate and the infernal combustion engine
nothing is sweeter then the smell of coalsmoke in the morning
"hey are you waiting for a train too?"

mikekmac
Railroadfan...fan

Welllll, we were there, too, but did any of you say Hi to us? NOOoooooo...

The delightful surprise of the day for me was finding the (5TM?) Whiting Trackmobile in the back corner of the shed. My late father was part-owner of a Whiting dealer in southern New Jersey; we sold 1TM, 2TM, 3TM, 5TM, and 7TM Trackmobiles to the likes of Scott Paper, Dupont, ARCO, and other plants from Connecticut to Virginia. (Toward the end we sold some of the bigger units, too, but those were shipped direct and never came through our shop.)

And when one of our customers finished beating the crap out of their Trackmobile and decided they really needed the next larger size, we'd take the old one in trade and rebuild it. Summers from high school through college, I worked in the shop and (among other things) helped with engine and transmission rebuilds, and then drove the rebuilt Trackmobile around the yard breaking in the drive train. I remember driving 1TMs, 2TMs, 3TMs, and I -think- one blue 5TM.

So, Dad, wherever you are, I was thinking about you today.

-Mike

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

My wife and I spent the entire day there on Friday, and except for Gregg Pullano, I wouldn't know any of you guys if I was standing right in front of you. In fact, some of you may have been, but you wouldn't know it if you were standing in front me either. Came across only one person I knew all day day long (C&OGP75745) and that was first thing in the morning after we both had just arrived, neither of us knowing the other would be there. While he said he would be there most of the day as well, with all of the thousands of others there, we never crossed paths again.

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

Went on the 1225^H^H^H^H765 excursion today and had a great time. We ended up waiting for quite a while after the photo run-bys - our car host said that we had run out of water and needed to call the FD for a fill. I noticed that the 765 was running without the aux tender that I had seen the 1225 with on other excursions. Some of the older passengers were female-dogging about the delay, and how everything was being run poorly, but I didn't care. We were only about 45 minutes late.

I'll be going back tomorrow with the family to do the 1hr ride.

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

Ill be there tomorrow!!!!

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Welllll, we were there, too, but did any of you say Hi to us? NOOoooooo...
Didnt realize we all needed railroadfan. com name badges. Hello my name is "Foamer".