Detroit Customs and trains.

Locomotive identification, railfan locations, frequency information, etc. can be found here.
CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

Detroit Customs and trains.

Unread post by CharlieX90 »

I am wondering what goes on with Customs and the CP trains in and out of NS Oakwood.I hear alot of talk on the scanner about "Waiting on Customs"..How does this work? Do they inspect the train? What all happens before they enter the tunnel customs wise?

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Detroit Customs and trains.

Unread post by hoborich »

I'm no expert, but I think they mostly check the paperwork and check for riders. There's no way they would open and inspect every car.
In Port Huron, across from the depot, on the mainline to the tunnel, I noticed some bright floodlights and cameras on posts on both sides of the track, probably to watch for riders.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

ETR#101
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ETR#101 »

I'm not exactly sure what happens either, but here in Windsor it's the same as hoborich sees in Port Huron. The CPR line from the US customs X-Ray machine at the Pelton spur, all the way west to the tunnel is full of cameras and flood lights. The security gets even more beefed up west of Dougall ave, where you find 10-15 foot, high grade security fencing, intense flood lighting, and cameras everywhere pointing an every direction.....and I mean EVERY direction. 2 poles at Dougal have upwards of 6 cameras on each. And you get a pole with at least one camera on it, probably every 50 meters, maybe a bit more as you head towards the tunnel.
Actually.....here's a picture I found on the net with Essex Terminal in it. It doesn't show the pole with camreas like a bunch of grapes, but you get the idea lol. I don't think any of this is even addressing your question LOL! I think I found this on Flickr by a member named chrycopaul. So chrycopaul....if you're out here, thanks for letting me use this! I like your pix :wink:

On the job since 1941

pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pbmaxno15 »

I was watching Border Wars on NatGeo a couple of weeks ago and they showed the trains crossing the border in Texas. The CBP had to open the gate and were doing a roll by and they caught two riders trying to enter the country. I would think that there would be some kind of inspection yard, but they did not make any mention of one. I have a friend that works at CBP and I will see what he can tell me. He probably can't tell me anything, but I will ask.