Storage on CSX Saginaw Sub

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Storage on CSX Saginaw Sub

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

CSX has put some autoracks in storage on the siding between Grand Blanc and Holly. I was wondering, does CSX run an extra to the siding, or do Q321 or Q322 drop the cars off there?

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Re: Storage on CSX Saginaw Sub

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Extra, most likley even D737, if it still exists.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:Extra, most likley even D737, if it still exists.
I read every once and a while that D737 makes a run to Delta Tube (?) in Holly to drop off and pick up rail cars. I guess they repair rail cars there.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

It depends, sometimes I've seen where they've had cars sit up there and then an extra runs up to get them and then I've also seen where Q321 will pick 'em up.

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

This time of the year the railroads start to pre-stage bi-level auto racks in preperation for the auto makers shipping light trucks and SVU's in mid-late August. Back when CP was running on CSX they would usually start moving moving the bi-levels east in July and my mid-August they would start heading west loaded.
I have haerd that the Marion IN GM plant furloughed some workers for 3 weeks. I'm assuming this was for retooling for the new model year. If it's due to a slow down in sales could mean that these bi-levels might be sitting a while longer than normal.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by firemedic54 »

I've never seen autoracks stored there before. They used to store well cars for some time. I'll keep my eye out and see how long they stay there.

CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

Unread post by CharlieX90 »

This is the time of year where the auto factory's have 2-3 week shutdowns to retool for the new models.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Over in GR we've got an X203 heading to Gross (near St. Joseph) with autoracks for storage....
GDLK still has lots of autoracks south of town along it's lines too
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

The joke is on you guys because the time known as "shutdown" is almost non-existent anymore. I've been told that Chrysler doesn't really have it anymore, Ford I have no idea about. As for GM, it's pretty much up to the individual plants now. The contract now states that they must have it nailed down and announce the dates by the end of February. Our shutdown this year was originally scheduled for the first two weeks of July, it was then changed to the first week of July and the last week of August. Wanna piss off a bunch of people? Announce the dates and then two months later (when everyone has their vacations planned) go and change the dates :evil: Last year, we only had one week off for shutdown.

In the old days, model changeover used to last 2-4 weeks. Nowadays, model changeover happens with a 5 car gap in the line.

Starting toward the end of the month we start rolling a few saleable 2013 vehicles down the line everyday, right in line with the 2012. We will be full production with 2013's by October.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

I drove past the siding yesterday where the cars were, and the cars were gone.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

CSX Removed the autoracks from Gross Siding earlier this week too....
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow