Elkhart, Ind.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Elkhart, Ind.

Unread post by LakeATCS »

Blue block just went up north of Claypool as well

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

LakeATCS wrote:Keep your eyes and ears out. I am told permits were just issued to start.

That may be the most believable, 414, 412, and down at 3
Workers at 417, CR 17 and 412 ... there were a couple dozen workers at 417 when the Capitol Limited rolled through just before 8am. They had night suns set up at 417.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Panel being installed at CP19 as I type.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Today isn't a signal cut over, but a panel installation day instead.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

LakeATCS wrote:Today isn't a signal cut over, but a panel installation day instead.
I should be able to report on changes in about five more hours. (I love my job!)

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Blitz!

Track two was closed through Goshen and Elkhart this afternoon. (ever wonder what the NS Chicago Line would look like single tracked from CP 395 to CP 421? Look today.) Projects underway at several points on the line.

In some areas it seemed that there were more NS owned vehicles on the road that anything else.

Marion Line curve in Goshen (near CP 412).

CP 412 (looking East).

CP 417 (looking West). Panels have been added on the siding to connect to track 2.

There was some work underway on track at 419. I did not cruise the rest of the line.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Work stretched from CP-421 to CP-412 and on down to CP 33 at Claypool

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Crews are working through the night at CP 412 and CP 417. Track 1 was eastbound for a few hours to allow trains to pass including the two evening Amtrak trains. It is currently running westbound from CP 395 to CP 421.

With the track panels staged on the north side of the tracks there have been times where all three tracks were closed and trains were held out as heavy construction equipment blocked Track 1. The stack train in front of the Capitol Limited was held blocking Lusher Ave for a while. I have seen stack trains and unit coal and oil trains pass through at various times today ... plus the Amtrak trains.

(WB Amtrak 30 departed Elkhart 83 minutes late and lost 32 more minutes before reaching Waterloo. 30 was 34 minutes late at South Bend. WB Amtrak 48 did better, departing Elkhart 3 minutes late and losing 22 more minutes before reaching Waterloo. 48 was 8 minutes late at South Bend.)

Along with the track panels, NS is installing the circuit block breaks in the rail at the new CP signals. Track crews are cutting out a section of track at each location then welding in a short section of rail with the block break. (I believe this was also done at 419 earlier today.)

The neighborhoods are lit up with the night sun work lights - especially in Goshen. The smell of freshly cut rail and Thermite in the air is pervasive.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

It sure is funny driving near the track today and not seeing the massive number of NS vehicles seen yesterday. It looks like they got a lot done.

rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob46580 »

Did they get the 419 signal bridge up???

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

rob46580 wrote:Did they get the 419 signal bridge up???
Nope. The new bridge itself is untouched. There was some track work done between the current signal and the road crossing.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

The signals are now mostly mounted on the bridge at 419 ... with the bridge still on the ground.

The new CP 417 westbound signals are in the air ... with the third level of signals added.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Someone on another forum mentioned that there may have been a Balast train on the new 3 main between 415(old) and 412. Guess he had to hand throw in using the new panels at 412,

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

LakeATCS wrote:Someone on another forum mentioned that there may have been a Balast train on the new 3 main between 415(old) and 412. Guess he had to hand throw in using the new panels at 412,
Correct ... I saw the train lined up east of CP 412 ready to shove the cars from the Marion Branch to #3.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

The train was left near CR 17 (MP 414.75 in the measured mile). (Engines 7113 left and 7118 right)

Ballast was added at each crossing to raise up the track to make it possible for a train to pass. Ballast was also added near existing CP 415.

BTW: Both switches for the crossover from Track 2 to the siding are in place at CP 412 but the switches do not appear to be connected. The new switch on the Marion Branch is the only rail access to the siding extension. There is a derail with a red light just west of the new switch.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Snow, cold and switches added to Track 1 at CP 417. Too snowy to grab a picture.

There was additional track 1 work while the track between CP 421 and CP 412 was closed. Trains are passing on Track 2.

The weekend ballast train was waiting at CP 412 (on the new siding) around 5pm. If a train appears on 3WA "out of nowhere" it is probably the ballast train.

BTW: CP 3 has new signals on the east side of the track --- not in service. The current northbound signal is Stop or Approach only. The new signal has two heads (three lamps over two) giving the ability to give a "clear" signal. NS has promised Marion Branch trains through Goshen will travel 20 MPH by later this year.

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tttodisp »

At CP 3, is there any evidence of a new signal for SB moves? I suspect that the new signal for NB moves at CP 3 will be an approach signal, no longer part of the CP 412 control point.

Scott Given

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

tttodisp wrote:At CP 3, is there any evidence of a new signal for SB moves? I suspect that the new signal for NB moves at CP 3 will be an approach signal, no longer part of the CP 412 control point.

Scott Given
CP3 already is a fully independent MCP on a Lake division 243 code line address. This MCP has signals for north and south. CP 3 is controled by the Lake Division dispatcher. CP 412 repeats some of the stuff shown by CP3. Probably a leftover from the PC days when the ex NYC DS needed to see what the ex PRR DS that controlled the Marion branch was doing.

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tttodisp »

That's why I asked about CP 3 in case they decide to modernize things and remove the control point.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

tttodisp wrote:That's why I asked about CP 3 in case they decide to modernize things and remove the control point.
CP3 on it's 243 address will be staying from what I understand. The CP 412 echo will be going away.

One of the challenges is getting the new CP 3 machine to talk to the wackball code line between CP 3 and CP 19.